Jason Momoa Praises Zack Snyder; Discusses 'Aquaman' Script

We first saw him in a short cameo from Batman v Superman, we will see more of him in the Zack Snyder-directed Justice League, and we will then see him in his own solo film of Aquaman. I am of course talking about Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry aka Aquaman.

Chatting to Digital Trends, Momoa was asked about his upcoming DC ventures with the Aquaman film, how he got cast for the role, and now having the challenge of reshaping people's conception of the sea-dwelling superhero.

"I read the (Aquaman) script," said Momoa. "Let me just put it this way, I’ve never seen a movie that’s anything like this. It’s going to be a world that you’ve never seen before, which is really cool. We went to space, we travelled all over different worlds, but we never went underwater. So it’s just a really cool spin on what’s below and it uses a lot of great movies that I already love — whether that be Raiders of the Lost Ark to Star Wars to Lord of the Rings to Romancing the Stone. It has a lot of really cool adventure, it’s funny and heroic, and there’s a lot of different characters and a lot of different worlds that we get to go to. So I’ve never really seen anything like it."

Many have assumed that his Khal Drogo role in Game of Thrones helped him in getting the role, well it looks like that was the case. "Zack Snyder is a huge fan of Game of Thrones," Momoa explained. "I met him in the training stunt facility that I train at and I guess he really liked me because he later called me into his office and we talked about playing Aquaman. He had a really cool vision for what he wanted to do and how he wanted me to look. It’s kind of Zack’s baby."

Given his other past roles like Conan the Barbarian, who would be consider to be a badass, Momoa was asked how his background in playing such characters has done in shaping this Arthur Curry. "Well, I think that’s really fucking hard, John, because I’m getting made fun of a little bit," Momoa said. "But the cool thing with Aquaman is how it taps into the native culture and that’s something that we’re only taught a little about, so there’s a lot of interesting things. I really think it’s the right time.  It’s really cool. Zack is one of those perspectives on it and DC is really getting behind it. It was a ballsy step. They did it, and I’m extremely happy with the world they’ve created. It’s an honour to be part of this."

Momoa offered his final words on his upcoming Aquaman film, and that now that many are looking forward to it. "Yeah, well I read the script and just started training for it and I can’t wait," Momoa said. "I’ve spent a lot of time in this industry so I’m excited to put all my energy into it and completely fuck some shit up."

Aquaman will be directed by James Wan, is written by Wan, Geoff Johns, and Will Beall, and it will star Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry, Amber Heard as Mera, Patrick Wilson as Orm, Nicole Kidman tentatively playing Atlanna, Yahya Abdul-Mantee II as Black Manta, Temuera Morrison as Thomas Curry with Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko. Aquaman releases October 5, 2018.

Source: Digital Trends
Previous Post Next Post