Delicious Vietnamese Fine-Dining at House of Ho

One of the best things about being a wanderlust-ing foodie in London is that you can (kind of) satisfy your wanderlust by eating so many different cuisines without paying for hundreds of flights! Vietnamese food isn't something that I've really eaten much of but when Angie recommends a restaurant, I make sure to add it to my never-ending list. 

After a long day at college a couple of weeks ago, I walked with Gary (via a beautiful little bar that I've got to back to) to House of Ho, Fitzrovia for a delicious bloggers' dinner.

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again, but meeting up with other foodies to talk about, well, food, is one of the real highlights of blogging for me. I loved catching up with Catherine, Andrea, Emma, and meeting more lovely bloggers. 

We enjoyed a lovely champagne reception in the bar on the top floor of this stunning four floor townhouse as we all gossiped, caught up and relaxed after a long work day. 



That evening we enjoyed a delicious sharing style menu created by head chef Ian Pengelly, a chef renowned for his knowledge of Asian cuisine who used to be the Executive Chef at Gilgamesh and Chai Wu at Harrods, before his new role at House of Ho. 

I was sat between Gary, who I had bumped into at the Dalloway Terrance the week before, and Andrea, with whom I needed a really good catch up!

We nibbled on a selection of Vietnamese crackers as wine was poured, menus were studied and snaps were taken. 


We started with beef la lot, Black Angus filet beef wrapped in leaf and served with a delicious dipping sauce. I really enjoyed the depth of this dish, though I did find the meat a little dense - butI think that's just my preference for light dishes coming through!


Next to pass me was an incredible crispy duck and watermelon salad, one of the best dishes of the night. Chunky, soft and sweet watermelon was paired beautifully with crunchy duck; I loved the sweet and savoury combination and just how light this dish was.


Other dishes included crispy squid, served with a chilli dipping sauce which I couldn't get enough of. Delicious fish coated with a light, totally non-greasy batter, it really was perfect.


Finally, for starters (I know, it really was a feast) we tucked into perfectly formed dumplings.



In mid-course delight, we were all blown away by the crispy soft-shell crab served on a bed of dried chillis.


Light, fresh fish which was entirely moreish and presented in the most incredible way.


I have to admit that I probably had more than my fair share of these as I absolutely couldn't stop myself!


Main courses were also sharing style and included Ian's special dish of shaking beef.


Not my favourite of the evening as I prefer my beef a little more rare but bursting full of flavour and incredibly presented.


A lemongrass fried chicken that was wonderful; zingy, fresh and again, perfectly crisp, I made sure that this bowl sat riiiiight next to me!



A side dish of beautiful Vietnamese broccoli...


And Chilean sea bass with Vietnamese fermented plum sauce: thick chunky sea bass that fell apart as you touched it. Full of flavour and a real must have when you visit House of Ho.


I was so impressed with how all of the dishes were presented: not only did the food taste incredible, but the thought that had been put into the presentation was wonderful.





To satisfy our sweet teeth we had banana crumble with chocolate ice cream (a dish I couldn't try due to a very strange allergy to bananas!)


But I did tuck in to the chocolate ice cream!


And a truly incredible green tea pudding, a play on a chocolate fondant, served with sorbet and passion fruit. A dish I wasn't expecting to like, but that I took a fair fancy too! Though I have to admit the name of "happy endings" didn't really appeal to me so much.


Each dish has been inspired by Ian's travels through Asia which I think gives this restaurant and menu a really personal touch, something that is accentuated when you realise you're sitting in an old town house. It's almost as though you're sitting in someone's dinning room.


Did this really cure my wanderlust or did it just make me want to visit Vietnam? Probably the latter...!


If you can't make it to Vietnam in the near future but want a taste of the cuisine, make sure the new House of Ho on Percy Street is your next stop.

House of Ho
Percy Street
Fiztrovia
London
W1T 1DB
Square MealThe House of Ho Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
Previous Post Next Post